Norwell Parish Council

A Parish Council is the first tier of local government and closest to the community it serves. Its councillors are elected for 4 years at a time and elections are only held if the number of applicants exceeds the number of places available. Vacancies occuring between elections are filled either by co-opting or bye-election. There are seven places on Norwell Parish Council who have voting rights and a paid Parish Clerk who is also the responsible Financial Officer.

Parish Council History

Before 1894 the affairs of the parishes were administered by a vestry or meeting of the village inhabitants. Inevitably these meetings were dominated by the "great and the good", the village squire, the parson and the principal ratepayers in the community.

For a variety of reasons including a general movement towards democracy and the removal of Ecclesiastical power a bill was promoted to create Parish Councils. In 1894 this bill became an Act and so began the first steps in creating Parish Councils as we know them.

PARISH COUNCIL LAND AND BUILDINGS


Parish Gardens and pinfold - Main Street Norwell

Telephone kiosk - Main Street Norwell

Telephone kiosk -  Norwell Woodhouse

For any enquiries or suggestions please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. / The Old Chapel, Norwell 01636 636401 | Website by Screenbeetle